Posted on June 11 2015
Did you know that May was National Strawberry Month? Here at emmajoy we love strawberries. They're sweet, delicious and best enjoyed during the summer heat.
In fact, we love them so much that we decided one month isn’t long enough to celebrate our favorite fruit. We’re declaring it the summer of the strawberry!
Here are some facts you may not know about these little red beauties:
- Strawberries are members of the rose family. No wonder they smell so sweet!
- One strawberry has an average of 200 seeds.
- Americans eat an average of 4.85 pounds of fresh and frozen strawberries per person per year.
- In Belgium there’s a whole museum dedicated to the strawberry. Their shop sells strawberry jam, strawberry perfume and even strawberry beer!
- In January and February alone, California strawberry growers produced more than 649 million strawberries.
- Strawberries can be pickled, roasted and frozen. They’re the perfect addition to our favorite salads, smoothies, salsas and cakes (Don’t even get us started on donuts!)
But our favorite fact about strawberries is that they’re the only fruit that shows their seeds on the outside. Strawberries dare to be different and embrace their seeds by displaying them for all to see. How cool is that?
In honor of these beauties, we decided to roll out our a whole new collection of bright and bold pieces. Let's take a lesson from these bold beauties and show our seeds! Check out this collage of a few of our favorites: